View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

Time zone: America/Denver

Home Page Home Page  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Suggestions for Armor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:08 pm 
Imperial Recruit

So as i'm getting ready to get myself to Utah for the time being. I thought I had an idea of what trooper I wanted to be. I thought a storm trooper but I wanted to get some input from you guys! So I will be newly wed October 5th. So money will be a bit tight want to make sure we will be ok with rent and all. So to make a long story short ( Too late. Props if you get the movie quote) This will be my first time making armor. So I would like to hear some thoughts on some armor which would be good to start off with. First time making armor myself. So what do you guys got?

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for Armor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:27 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Royal Guard 2nd Class

Welcome!

Your movie reference is likely Clue (monkey's brains, while popular in Cantonese cuisine are not often to be found in Washington D.C.)

Unfortunately, I won't be much help on the armor, but I know others will be. I'll just say I hope to see you at an event soon. Coming to help at an event gives you the opportunity to see different kits, and get a feel for how they look and go together. Plus, it is really fun!

I do know that one of the next questions will be about your height and weight as that will make a difference on the kit that will fit you best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:43 pm 
Imperial Recruit

Thanks Fish! As for height and weight. I'm about 5'8 or so.. Yes I know I'm a bit short for a storm trooper :) I'm a bit on the heftier side but hope to change that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:32 pm 
Alpine Garrison Membership Liaison
Republic Commando Apprentice

nothing says you have to be a Stormtrooper. There are multiple options available.

While your body size, shape, composition will make a difference with almost any armor types out there, the question you have to start out with is what do you REALLY want to do? You can browse the Costume Reference Library on the 501st home page to see what all is out there that you like, and take down a list. Arrange that list from dream costume to somewhat interested, and then research associated costs from there. I did this, and it was how I came to my decisions. My first costume was a bridge crew. It helped me to "get my foot in the door" and allowed many things to open up for me within the garrison. My first armor was my Stormtrooper. I used it like crazy for the first two years of my membership, as it is one of the most easily identifiable costumes we have. My third costume is my Republic Commando. This one is my baby, and the one I wanted from the first time I saw the characters. It took forever, but I recently was approved in it.

Costs are a huge concern, but do not let that discourage your decisions. Start with the research on what will be required, and budget out your time and money to invest in your costume. Start off by looking at what will get you approved to troop, and then look into the "it would be nice to have *this*" items.

No one can tell you what to build but yourself, so that is the question you have to ask yourself.

What do YOU want to be? We will be here to support you and your build, no matter what you decide, but again, it is entirely your decision to make.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:22 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Clone Commander Apprentice

Nahhhhh Stormtroopers are a dime a dozen, come and be a better class of trooper. Build a clone ;) :clone-blue: :clone:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Snowtrooper 1st Class

We always need more snowtroopers

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 6 posts ] 

Time zone: America/Denver