Home Page Home Page  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: The Fitness Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:45 pm 
Retired Alpine Garrison Member
Master

So are you on a program of some kind? Do you run, aerobicize, lift weights, play sports, eat certain foods, etc?

In this thread you get to share what your fitness goals are. Are you trying to lose weight, gain weight, build strength, endurance, improve cardio, build muscle? etc. Please share your stories and motivate and encourage each other to improve our health. Let's get in shape and look trimmer in our costumes and feel better about ourselves.

I guess I'll start it off. I've always been into certain sports and activities like martial arts, mountain climbing, rappelling, weightlifting and bodybuilding. I was a scrawny 17 year old kid out of high school, barely able to bench press 150 pounds weighing 155 pounds soaking wet at 6' tall. By the time I was 25 I was approaching the 300 pound bench press and feeling like I could take on the world at a near rock solid 185-187 pounds. Nowadays I still weigh about the same but with the rigors of life have lost much of my build and strength. I still lift to maintain strength and flexibility for the work that I do in construction.

I am setting Celebration 4 as my target date and my goal is to be 180 pounds, lean. This means I'll have to lose more fat than the muscle I need to regain. That will put me at one pants size smaller. I will consider myself lucky if I can fill out an XL t-shirt again, though. Construction has not been kind to my joints and that makes it a little harder to lift heavy.

So now that I have spilled my guts to everyone and made myself accountable to you, I hope others will join me in improving their health. So please get in shape with me for next summer!

What are your goals?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Last edited by Skalen Fehl on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:34 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet Enlistee

Are you really sure you want to know what I do?

Through work I'm able to do some of my strength training exercises, mostly for defining my muscles that's usually 3 times a week MWF. Yeah, deltoids are looking sweet. Then I do legs with a coworker on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I have a client I workout. Tuesdays I have dance and one of my cardio days and Thrusdays I do cardio and kickboxing.

I'm looking more for firming and toning and looking better in my dance costumes.

My last quarter of school helped alot since we were required to design an exercise program every week so I got into the habit of working out all the time.

I like doing free weights but I don't have spotters so I'll work on the defined muscles instead.

If anyone needs help with a program I can help. :D

Official Blaster Thief

Save the Twinkies, eat more Cupcakes

We Do Bellydancer Right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:03 am 
Master

That's quite a routine, Mary! I really need to include cardio into my program. Right now I'm just weightlifting and strength training. I get a lot of regular exercise at work lifting, climbing, etc, but I need to exceed that threshold with real cardio so I can really start shedding last winter's "coat".

Now for eating! I need to eat more, especially a lot more protein every day. I'm trying to consume between 180 and 200 grams of proteing daily. I've also been better about staying away from soda pop and anything with sugar, like gatorade and any so called energy drink and keeping my carb intake to quality complex carbs. I also take a daily multivatimin pack. I hate fast food restaurants so big macs and whoppers are easy for me to avoid.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:58 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet Enlistee

I don't eat right, there's my problem so I make up for it with the working out. I've given up on soda's and cut back on the fast food. First because it's not healthy for you and I can't afford it. Drinks are water and I consume protein shakes or bars after my workouts.

Official Blaster Thief

We Do Bellydancer Right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:49 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet 2nd Class

Hi.. you can count me in here too.

I have been off work since 7/28 and i have put 25 lbs back on in a hurry, so now i am trying to get it off.

I lost a ton of weight a couple years ago and I think it was because I was always in bed by 8pm because I had to get up at 4am and be at work at 5:45 then i never ate a lot during the day, so I am now trying to stick to that plan even tho I am just at home.

I have started doing a Firming and Walk Aerobics DVD with Leslie Sansone, i had a walking video of hers and i used it all the time until my vcr ate it. Leslie is very good as she doesn't seem to make you go until you drop and she is encouraging all through the session, make syou want to try harder.

My incentive is...I am going to be working on a costume, so I want to be able to "Get into it," and I have started dating again, so I have a couple of incentives there...lol I will probably give up on dating...I hate it..lol
BUT I am nOT giving up on the costume. Oh yeah I am going to be going to school so I think that will also help.

I know if I eat more protein then I don't crave sweets so I am increasing my intake of protein.

About Fast Food. I was reading about some of the preservatives and additives that are put in food now and this MSG that is in food is More additive than Caffiene is and they use it in meats to get people to crave it. It also affects every organ in your body in a BAD way!

Thanks for this Section, when I am trying to lose it is nice to have somene to share with.

Maroldy, you do a lot, that is amazing. I do hand weights I think it helps to burn off fat faster.

Well, Good luck to you two and lets keep trying...Thanks Again Skalen!

God bless...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:44 pm 
Master

Hey, good to see you on board, Judy! I gotta go back and troop with you all in Idaho! Maybe I'll jog there!! :rofl:

Anyway, I guess I need to look into this MSG thing. I am a meat eater. I love steaks, fish and poultry, though I do only eat red meat moderately. It is high in protein, though and has creatine in it, which I do need. I mostly stick to grilled chicken and quality protein bars and shakes for my protein intake.

For now I'm just working on strength and endurance. I don't bounce as well as I used to on the job site, though I can still run circles around my helpers except probably my foreman, who is quite lean and athletic also. I'm still the one who has to climb high into the trusses to work so being in top shape for me is a must.

Once Winter is over and Spring begins, I'll tone down the lifting and begin focusing more on cardio and losing the "bad" weight. That will include a ton of core training (abdominal/torso area).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:20 pm 
Florida Garrison
Imperial Officer 3rd Class

Count me in. My goal is to lose the last 10 lbs of pregnancy weight. I also want to be in as good of shape as I was back in the Army days. I was able to do the 2 mile run in 13 minutes and 40 seconds. That was my best time so that will be my goal. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:28 pm 
Timberline Garrison
Imperial Officer 1st Class

I am in on this, I need to lose some weight as is seen even more in the event pictures of me in my officer, My big goal is to get back down to a nice 200 that is about 40 pounds away for me. I need to lose it and I do have to agree when you do not work it is hard to keep the weight off. I need to get my self back into a program. Well was on my mission me and my compainion did Herbalife. tHat and exercise helped me drop from 260 to 230 in about two months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:43 pm 
Master

Glad to see you onboard Lori and Dallas. I'll post everybody's goals later on the first post so we can have a quick glance and check our progress over tme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:01 pm 
Neon City Garrison
Sith Lord Apprentice

Pre-1999 I was competitively Olympic-Style Weightlifting. That's when I broke my back and had to lay off for a while but I still am a proponent of that type of exercise: Put things on the ground and pick them up. I refer to it as "Milo-Exercising". Milo of Crotona was the great Greek athlete who's traing regime included carrying a new born calf a given distance every day between Olympics. By the time the Games started he was carrying a full grown cow. He was a six time undefeated champ of the Olympic Games when wrestling was a brutal sport so it must have worked. history reports that he would hold his arms out to his sides and challenge people to try to bend his fingers- No one could.
The moral - Lift heavy weights and add five pounds every day- NO MATTER WHAT. Squat every time you go into a weight room or it's a waste of your time. Muscle burns fat and the large muscles of your back and legs burn the most fat. Fat is burned through the whole body so the large muscles will burn the fat every where. It's hard work to convince yourself to climb under the squat rack every day but hard work never produced anything but positive results. And for my diet: If it doesn't bite back, I eat it
As for my aerobic workout- I call it "Indian Warrior Training" others call it suicide....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:31 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet Enlistee

Bruce Lee focused alot on endurance I know that. He would run around his block one day, then do the same thing the next and add 5 more feet each day.

I lack endurance, I'm not a runner I dont' mind it but I can't do it. But I'm working my way up to it. I like to play around on treadmills but the other day I was able to stay on longer at a higher mph than what I've ever done.

My sister and sister in law want me to run a 5k with them next year, I know it's not alot but I've never done one and again the whole running thing.

I also have a pair of leather pants I want to get into. Its a weird goal but hey, it's a goal.

Official Blaster Thief

We Do Bellydancer Right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:22 pm 
Master

I have Bruce Lee's workout in one of my old Muscle & Fitness Mags. That guy was intense!

I have to agree, Eric, that Squats are a must. Large muscle groups produce the most efficient metabolism. Legs, core and back muscles are a must for good conditioning. I'm glad there's a fellow hardcore trainer here. Does your back prevent you from doing any kind of conditioning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:23 am 
Clone Trooper 2nd Class

I'm on the college student without a car so he walks everywhere plan. Diet consists of microwave burritos, poptarts, and Microwave dinners. Eat well when attending parents home.
Seriously, I just walk a lot.

"Crying is for little girls, babies, and men who just had their ears ripped off"

"Quick Robin hand me the Bat Shark Repellent Spray!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:39 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
Sith Lord 1st Class

My goal is to lose the weight I have put on over the past year. It isn't pretty. My final goal is 200, but that is far enough away that I need some temporary goals in the middle. I think I'm going to set goals in 5 or 10 pound increments. Right now, I'm a hair above 240 :shock:, which is my current goal.

I really need to exercise more, but it's hard to find the time. This week, I am trying to go "cold turkey" on the junk food (donuts, bagels, cookies, etc). We'll see how it works.

Thanks for starting this up, Marc. It will be good to have some company, and also some people to be accountable to.

Mark "IV"
SL-3478

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:22 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet Enlistee

don't forget the rewards. I'm not saying reward yourself with food, I'm saying do something nice for yourself. Something you enjoy. working out and eating healthier shouldn't be torture. Even if it's setting aside sometime to read a chapter in a book you're trying to read. It shouldn't cost alot either. With a rewards program you have something to reach for and something that you are able to see yourself getting. I do it with grades for school.

Remember though, when you are lifting weights you will put on weight so going by what the scale says isn't always right. Go by how your clothes fit and how you feel yourself. I've been asked by many people at my work how much weight I've lost when infact I haven't lost anything, but I've trimmed down alot and my clothes are fitting looser on me.

For lifting, remember we live in a very chest oriented world so doing one more back exercise would benefit your chest so much more.

Official Blaster Thief

We Do Bellydancer Right.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27
 >> Next 

Time zone: America/Denver