Previous << 
1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:32 pm 
Retired Alpine Garrison Member
Master

Fitness takes serious commitment, though. "Trying to find time" usually ends up not happening. Not sure about online BMI calculators. If you go to a gym, they'll give you a tour and you could request a reading. If you've ever heard of P90X, I'm one of many independent coaches who has been training folks to get in better shape and also using this program. I've been doing this for two years now. If you're interested, shoot me a pm and I'll help you get in serious shape.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:52 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet 1st Class

small update, I have dropped a few more pounds but more importantly, I have dropped another pants size. I am down from a 38 to a 34! yay!!!

Still trying to loose that elusive 15 lbs. Still eating a low calorie diet and doing cardio 3 times a week. I stepped up my routine a bit recently, added 15 mins to my workout time.

-Ni dinu ner gaan naakyc, jorcu ni nu copaani kyr'amur ner vod...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:02 pm 
Master

That's awesome, Kirk! The elusive last 15, 10 and yes 5 lbs is tough, but not impossible and has everything to do with nutrition. Feel free to pm me and I can help you fine tune it, if you'd like.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:24 pm 
Master

Age? What age? I got your age right here! :P

Some folks have pm'd me in recent weeks about getting healthier and fitter. Please bear with me as I get back to you. My clientele is beginning to grow as I respond to their inquiries as well. Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:43 pm 
Mountain Garrison
Imperial Officer 1st Class

Malican wrote:
How accurate is the BMI calculators you find online? I'm between 5'11" and 6'0" and according to them I would have to be 178 to be right under 25.0.

I could be wrong but I'd think If I lost much more than 40lbs than that I'd just be loosing muscle.

I'd like to be under 210lbs by the end of the summer. My biggest obstacle isn't eating right, it's finding the time to exercise properly.

I haven't done any weight training or exercise program for over 10 years now and I'd like to get back to at least the strength I had in high school. I don't remember all the max lifts but I remember my senior year my best dead lift was 475lbs, power clean was 275lbs and bench press was 315lbs.

Personally, I hate BMI calculators. My BMI was over 27 at the height of my fitness. This was about ten years ago when I worked as a fitness instructor. Trust me when I say I wasn't the slightest bit fat. I was giving serious consideration to entering a bodybuilding contest. At 5'10 I weighed in at 191, pretty much all muscle, and that's the problem with the BMI measurement... it doesn't take muscle into account.

My advice, as a trained instructor (albeit no longer certified) is to forget BMI measurements. If you want an accurate measurement, get a bodyfat analysis at your local gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:52 pm 
Timberline Garrison
Sith Lord Master

Hey Marc, the picture you posted here looks different than the one you posted on Facebook....... did you photoshop in more muscles on the facebook one??? ;)

True 501st Spirit : CELEBRATE - PROMOTE - CONTRIBUTE
Proudly serving the Empire since 2004
DS-3900 / ID-3900 / TI-3900 / TK-3900

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:21 pm 
Master

lol, no, Erin. It's the exact same picture. I'm no good with photoshop anyway if I tried. As for BMI calculators, I agree with Nic to a certain extent. BMI calculators don't take into account the 'extra' lean mass put on by strength trainers/body builders. For everyone else, they are quite accurate. Generally, though BMI's are used as indicators of overall health. Unfortunately, as Nic described, will give a muscular guy an "overweight" rating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:54 am 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet 1st Class

Well....I did it! hit the 180 lb mark this morning when I hopped on the scale! Tha puts me at loosing just over 60 Lbs! Man I feel good!

-Ni dinu ner gaan naakyc, jorcu ni nu copaani kyr'amur ner vod...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:04 am 
Alpine Garrison Cadet
Cadet 1st Class

Congrats, Kirk!!! :clap:

Christy Giles - TR/DZ 4780

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:31 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
Stormtrooper Master

Darth Sifter wrote:
Well....I did it! hit the 180 lb mark this morning when I hopped on the scale! Tha puts me at loosing just over 60 Lbs! Man I feel good!

Congrats, that is fantastic!

I hate dealing with my weight. I go to the gym for an hour, 4-5 days a week and I can't seem to lose any weight no matter how hard I try to eat right. I was down to 160 back in 2004, and have slowly gained a lot of wieght back. Seems that anytime I stop eating healthy (ie: vacations, Christmas, or being sick) I gain weight and can't get it off again no matter how hard I try. I am currently 180 lbs and today at the gym they tested my body fat % and it came out to be 18%. I'm just worried about our trip to Disney World next month where I doubt I'll be able to eat healthy for a full week. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:44 pm 
Master

Congrats, Kirk!!

For those of you trying to lose weight, here's something I wrote earlier in this thread. Keep in mind that I do intense cross training/P90X every day, which accounts for a 600 calorie burn. For those of you not working out, just deduct the 600 cals from the equation and add 300 cals for every half hour of moderate exercising you do (you burn about 300 cals/30 mins of moderate intensity workouts).
---

I've been getting requests in my inbox about nutrition and exercise for a healthier metabolism and fat loss. As you might already know, I bought the P90X program and it is worth every last penny. For those interested who already follow a solid intensive daily exercise routine (one hour each day alternating strength, cardio, yoga, etc) I'll post the formula I use for calculating your daily burn (calories required to efficiently metabolize the foods you eat.)

Take your body weight and multiply it by 10 to get your RMR (resting metabolic rate--basically the number of calories you need to breathe, pump blood, grow hair, blink-be alive.)

Body weight x 10 = RMR

Mulitply your RMR by 20% to get your daily active burn (calories required for daily movement apart from exercise)

RMR x .20 = DAB

Now add your RMR + DAB + 600 (number calculated for P90X program*) to get your daily caloric need.

Your total daily caloric need is the calories you need to consume each day *IF you were on the P90X program. Of course, if you're not doing this intense workout, so you might need to deduct the 600 calories or make personal adjustments based on your personal program.

Assuming we deduct the 600 that would be "X" amount of calories you need to consume daily. You might need to adjust for your exercise level. This is a trial and error formula because someone working a desk job is not as active as someone who works in a heavy labor field.

You will fall under one of three nutrition levels based on your daily caloric needs, which contain your required daily portions for that level. This is the Fat shredding phase and these portions should only be used for the first 30 days. Portions/ratios of carbs to proteins, etc change the next month based on your increased energy, metabolism, exercise level:

Level 1--1,800 Calories/Day:

5 servings of protein
2 servings of dairy
1 serving of fruit
2 servings veggies
1 serving of fat
1 serving of carbs
1 single snack serving
1 protein bar
1 recovery drink
1 serving of condiment

Level 2--2,400 Calories/Day:

7 servings of protein
3 servings of dairy
1 serving of fruit
4 servings of veggies
1 serving of fat
1 serving of carbs
1 double snack serving
1 protein bar
1 recovery drink
2 servings of condiment

Level 3--3,000 Calories/Day

9 servings of protein
4 servings of dairy
2 servings of fruit
4 servings of veggies
1 serving of fat
1 serving of carb
2 double snack servings
1 protein bar
1 recovery drink
2 servings condiments

The Food list: (portions to use)

FATS each serving = 120 cal.

3 oz Avocado
1 tbsp Canola oil
1 tbsp flaxseed oil
1 tbsp olive oil
4 oz olives

PROTEINS each serving = 100 cal.

3 oz boneless, skinless, chicken or turkey breast
6 egg whites
3 oz fish and shellfish
3 oz ham slices fat free
3 oz pork tenderloin
1/3 cup protein powder
3 oz red meat (top sirloin/skirt steak)
3 oz lean red meat
1 soy burger
5 slices soy cheese
3 oz tofu
3 oz tuna
2 slices turkey bacon
1 veggie burger
1 veggie dog

CARBS, GRAINS, LEGUMES, POTATOES each serving = 20 cal.

1 medium bagel, whole wheat
1 cup baked beans
1 cup beans, kidney, black, etc
1 bran muffin (2.5 oz)
2 slices bread, whole wheat, rye, pumpernickel
1 cup whole grain cereal (like TOTAL)
1 cup couscous
12 crackers
2 english muffins, whole wheat
1 cup hummus
1 cup oatmeal
3 pancakes (3.6 oz)
1 cup pasta or noodles
1 large pita, whole wheat
1 potato (2"x4 3/4")
1 cup quinoa
1 cup low fat refried beans
1 cup brown or wild rice
1 medium sweet potato
3 corn tortillas
1 large whole wheat tortilla
12 whole wheat waffles
1 cup wheat berries

DAIRY PRODUCTS each serving = 120 cal.

1 oz low fat cheese
1 cup 1% cottage cheese
1 oz fetta cheese
1 oz goat cheese semisoft
1 1/2 oz. mozarella, part skim
3 oz parmesan cheese
8 oz skim milk
1 oz soy cheese
8 oz soy milk
8 oz nonfat plain yogurt

FRUITS each serving = 100 cal.

1 medium apple
1 cup apricots
1 medium banana
1/4 medium cantaloupe
1 cup cherries
1 oz dried fruit
6 oz fresh squeezed juice
1 medium grapefruit
1 cup grapes
1 cup kiwi
1/2 medium mango
1 medium nectarine
1 large orange
1/2 medium papaya
1 medium peach
1 medium pear
1 cup raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
2 cups sliced strawberries
1 medium tangerine
1 cup watermelon

VEGETABLES each serving = 50 cal. 1 cup = cooked veggies, vegetable juice, or vegetable soup, 2 cups = leafy greens

asparagus
beets
bok choy
broccoli
brussels sprouts
cabbage
carrots
cauliflower
celery
collard greens
cucumber
eggplant
kale
lettuce
marinara sauce
mushrooms
peas
peppers
spinach
sprouts
squash (summer/winter)
string beans
tomatoes
V-8 juice, low sodium
vegetable soup

CONDIMENTS each serving = 2 tbsp = 50 cal.

bbq and other low-fat sauces and marinades, fat-free dressings, mustard, honey, pure fruit jams

SNACKS single serving =100 cal. double serving = 200 cal.

Single:

1 oz cheese low-fat
8 oz cottage cheese, 1%
1 oz dried fruit
1 frozen fruit bar
8 oz fruit sorbet
12 mini rice cakes
4 oz nonfat frozen yogurt
1/2 protein bar
1 tbsp peanut butter w/celery sticks
2 oz soy nuts
1 1/2 oz string cheese
1 oz turkey jerky
8 oz yogurt, nonfat plain

Double:

12 oz cottage cheese 1%
1 oz nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans, 30 pistachios)
1 recovery drink (local GNC)
1 protein bar
4 oz soy nuts
3 oz string cheese
2 oz turkey jerky

The above portions can be used to plan your meals. Eat every 2-3 hours to keep your body in fat burning mode rather than fat storing mode. Too many carb, protein or fat calories will be stored as fat.

Important notes. Make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep, especially if you are exercising rigorously (strength, cardio, and yoga) one hour each day. If you are getting the right amount of sleep and find yourself lacking energy, add a half serving of carb each day. Add only enough from the carb portions as needed to fuel your energy. Do not get your carbs from any kind of breads that contain bleached or enriched flour, etc. You want to get whole wheat. The good stuff. Too many carbs will be stored as fat and not metabolized. Also drink plenty of water and take some kind of mutli vitamin pack every day. Completely cut out soda and all sugary drinks. Once you start eating and drinking clean you will wonder why you ever drank or ate anything else that bogged your body down. Also try not to eat 2-3 hours before bed. This combination of clean foods will give you all the energy and nutrients you need to turn your body into a high octane engine and burning/metabolizing fat properly and giving you real lasting energy.

Hope this helps out. P90X is awesome and if you want a good challenge and a completely new body and much more energy then give it a try. It takes a lot of commitment and discipline, but it is worth it.

---

If anyone is serious about making changes to their fitness lifestyle, shoot me a pm and I'd be happy to introduce you to what I'm doing these days as a trainer and fitness coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:46 pm 
Neon City Garrison
Sith Lord Apprentice

Well, I fell short of my attempt to obtain the state records in the olympic lifts ( by the smallest of margins) and have moved on to my next challenge. I am now prepping for a 100 mile bicycle race.
It will be a completely different challenge than I have ever attempted but it has been that I have always wanted to do. Once again my broken back will be the main obstacle. It will require me to be on a bike for over 5 hours which is the worse position for my back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:41 pm 
Master

Eric, I have no doubt that you will adapt and overcome. If you can power lift with a broken back for state records, you can certainly ride a bike for a long distance. Just another mountain for you to conquer. Safely. I'm heading out for a run as soon as I hit post. Gotta love my hillside neighborhood!! Up and down and up, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:52 pm 
Neon City Garrison
Sith Lord Apprentice

Skalen Fehl wrote:
If you can power lift with a broken back for state records

POWER LIFTER !?!? Thems are fightin' words.
I'm a WEIGHTLIFTER

I know you knew what you meant... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm 
Master

I've been doing a lot more bent presses (Saxon), windmills and get ups with my Olympic bar aside from my regular P90X routine. I'm doing a second round this year of the X but am looking forward to the new Insanity workout coming up next month:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZLK28BHJDd8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZLK28BHJDd8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've already done one of the sneak preview workouts and it's really intense. 60 days of extreme cardio and proper nutrition. Booyah!!

:band:

p.s. If anyone is interested in P90X, any Beachbody program or quality supplements, please shoot me a pm.

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 395 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 >> Next 

Time zone: America/Denver