Delete all board cookies

Time zone: America/Denver

Home Page Home Page  [ 11 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:15 pm 
Imperial Recruit

Hello!

My name is Elli. I've come to you after learning of the Alpine Garrison at FanX in SLC earlier this year. Super excited to find a local group for the 501st because I've been wanting to build a set of armor for a few years now, but didn't know where to start. :?:

A few things about me: I'm big on Star Wars, obviously! I'm also a (PC) gamer, a web designer and developer, and very fond of dogs. I live in Herriman with my husband!

Originally, my interest was in standard Stormtrooper armor (either ANH or ROTJ) because I match the height/weight, but after The Force Awakens, I hyper-focused on Phasma. :lol: Mostly I'm unsure of how to achieve that shiny chrome/metallic coating, and have it be a quality material. Where would be the best place to start?

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:06 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Clone Commander Apprentice

Hi Elli! glad you found us!
The first thing you can do is to head over to Whitearmor.net
that is the detachment that handles stormtroopers!
Once you're there you can find a supplier for armor and our garrison here can help you get it built!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:22 pm 
Alpine Garrison Financial Officer
Sandtrooper Master

Welcome to the garrison Elli :). I second what moonmoon said about white armor. There are a few phasmas in the legion already and would be a great place to start.
While your doing that please feel free to come out to an event, you don't need a costume to be a part of the group and we always need help at the events, it's also a great way to meet the members and see the costumes up close.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:06 pm 
Garrison Merchandise Officer
Sith Lord Apprentice

Come say hi to us at SLCC!

SLD MBO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:09 pm 
Imperial Recruit

A delayed response, but I stopped by at SLCC to say hi, took a picture, and chatted a little bit with a Trooper. :) You guys were doing what appeared to be an art auction at the moment, so mostly everyone was busy.

Through WhiteArmor.net, I found a great build thread by Ingrid Moon, who was invited to appear as Phasma at the premiere of TFA in 2015. That led me to a Facebook group for Phasma-specific costumers! They have some fantastic advice in there. I'm leaning toward a kit maker out of the Philippines (Jimmi) who has cast the armor for quite a few 501st-approved builds, but also considering at another -- Shawn Thorsson, who cast Ingrid's kit -- so I've inquired with the both of them for more details.

As for achieving that sweet, sweet chrome, I'm looking into a process called vacuum metalizing -- expensive, and it seems to require some specific prep work, but imo looks the best and it's apparently how the main set of movie armor was chromed. Google doesn't reveal any results for shops here at home, however, so that may present some difficulty.

I effectively have null costuming knowledge; would probably struggle just to sew the button of a shirt back on. Once the kit arrives, anyone who would be willing/able to lend their experience through that process would be so appreciated. I am happy to pay for that kind of experience in cold-hard-cash, baked goods, or through volunteer time at events. :) Could also go for a skill exchange for any needed web design/dev work.

vv excited!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:16 pm 
Alpine Garrison Cadet
Cadet Enlistee

Jimmi makes an awesome set of armor. My executioner I'm working on is his v5 of the kit. Just in case you didn't know, his shipping is expensive. Almost 300 to the US for my kit and he just said his shipping prices will increase soon because of the company was using. Just a heads up. I can't wait to see this!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:24 pm 
Imperial Recruit

MStalkid wrote:
Jimmi makes an awesome set of armor. My executioner I'm working on is his v5 of the kit. Just in case you didn't know, his shipping is expensive. Almost 300 to the US for my kit and he just said his shipping prices will increase soon because of the company was using. Just a heads up. I can't wait to see this!

That's good to hear! I've seen a lot of positive feedback on Jimmi's kits, provided the proper steps have been put into finishing it. :) One Phasma builder didn't prep it quite right, and when he had it metalized, the surface ended up really bumpy because the fiberglass absorbed the aluminum. :(

Do you find your kit to be pretty flexible and lightweight?

Thanks for the head's up, I went and found his shipment pricing -- ouch! It must be worth it, though!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:42 pm 
Alpine Garrison Cadet
Cadet Enlistee

Oh no doubt if you put the love into it it'll be awesome. The fiberglass is just a pain to sand hah. Wear protection and masks!

I love my armor. I haven't gotten it fully built yet but the look and feel is great. It is heavier than other materials but not as heavy as traditional fiberglass. I can take and bend my ab plate wide enough to fit my body through. Same with my shins. Only issue with cracking seems to be where return edges are present.

I did a lot of research, and seeing the two kits used for both the model and world first Executioner Tk i knew I needed it. I think it's worth every penny, including the steep shipping. But I also enjoy fiberglass and am comfortable with it.

ebbymac likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:00 am 
Sith Lord Apprentice

Not sure if you're on FB on our Alpine Garrison Comlink? Hunter Nelson is building one with/for his girlfriend and they did a paint version at SLCC and they're looking to do the texture next, he'd be a great resource for local Phasma help and advice.

SLD MBO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:27 pm 
Imperial Recruit

mikkonator wrote:
Not sure if you're on FB on our Alpine Garrison Comlink? Hunter Nelson is building one with/for his girlfriend and they did a paint version at SLCC and they're looking to do the texture next, he'd be a great resource for local Phasma help and advice.

I found and liked The Garrison's public FB page, but not sure if that's the same one?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:37 pm 
Sith Lord Apprentice

ebbymac wrote:
mikkonator wrote:

I found and liked The Garrison's public FB page, but not sure if that's the same one?

Sent invite on FB to who I think is you and then add you to the private group.

SLD MBO

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 11 posts ] 

Time zone: America/Denver