Serving the great state of Utah since 1999

Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

Time zone: America/Denver

Home Page Home Page  [ 13 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Wow your website is awesome!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:17 pm 
Imperial Recruit

Hey troopers! I'm Zach from the Wisconsin Garrison. I was stopping by to say how impressed I am with your website design. I absolutely love how the public TOD, gallery, and member profiles are integrated. You really have an impressive webmaster at your disposal. I have browsed a lot of other 501st garrison sites, but I've never been so impressed to create a profile on their forum to compliment them. :) I love these aspects because it shows just how much effort troopers are making to get out there. I feel like a lot of tour of duties are private, but I think they should be shared!

If you don't mind sharing your information, I'm just curious if this is all done through the message board, or creating your own websites that mirror the message board layout.

This time is pretty busy for Wisconsin troopers - how about you?

Thanks for the approval to join the forums!

-Zach Wagner
TB/GM 7024

Zach Wagner
GM/TB 7024
WI Garrison & Nar Shadaa Base member

Post subject: Re: Wow your website is awesome!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:16 pm 
Alpine Garrison Commanding Officer
Sandtrooper Master

Thanks! We are indeed super lucky. Not to brag, or anything! :)

It's nice to see our fellow garrisons stopping by and taking the time to visit. We typically pop over and say hi on FB, but you, you have upped the game!

:)

HI!

SciFiChick
TD-5096

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:59 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Special Operations Grand Master

We've been spoiled rotten by our webmaster. He knows all the technical stuff so I'll let him answer any of those type questions, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say thanks for stopping by. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:18 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
Stormtrooper Master

Look up "Handyman" here on the boards... Mike Handy is the one who deserves all the praise, he is VERY talented.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:19 pm 
Alpine Garrison Webmaster
Bounty Hunter Master

Greetings, Zach! Welcome to our little corner of the Legion! 8)

I am the Alpine Garrison Webmaster and I have written a ton of custom code that is fully integrated into the phpBB message boards. That makes it run as one site and not as many. We have an Events Management system with calendaring, roll taking for building Tour of Duty lists, Event Commitments/reminders, Rank Advancements/Awards, event histories, fully integrated media gallery, costume management, cadet program, statistics, mass E-mail, and a whole lot more. I do plan on making my code Open Source so that other garrisons/bases can use it if they wish and customize it to their tastes.

Any other specific questions I can answer for you?

Mike Handy
"Handyman"

emtman and Trooper7024 like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:06 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Biker Scout Apprentice

Thrilled and honored to hear the kind words about our site. Everyone I have shown it to is amazed and Mike can't be thanked enough for his tireless efforts in putting it together. I feel it adds more professionalism as we are a tight group in Alpine. Thanks again for stopping by.

"Go on to your higher plane, teacher. The galaxy's mine now."
- Exar Kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:11 pm 
Imperial Recruit

I am sorry for the delay in response but will definitely be in touch!! You guys rock! Thank you so much!

Zach Wagner
GM/TB 7024

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:09 am 
Imperial Recruit

Handyman wrote:
Greetings, Zach! Welcome to our little corner of the Legion! 8)

I am the Alpine Garrison Webmaster and I have written a ton of custom code that is fully integrated into the phpBB message boards. That makes it run as one site and not as many. We have an Events Management system with calendaring, roll taking for building Tour of Duty lists, Event Commitments/reminders, Rank Advancements/Awards, event histories, fully integrated media gallery, costume management, cadet program, statistics, mass E-mail, and a whole lot more. I do plan on making my code Open Source so that other garrisons/bases can use it if they wish and customize it to their tastes.

Any other specific questions I can answer for you?

You covered most of what I was curious about. I take it you start with the forums, and then you can add the different sections as modules and include or leave out what you want?

Overall - it sounds pretty amazing to get it all working together which is why I was so impressed with it. Once you do make it open source I would love to know. It is very kind of you to share your knowledge and code with others.

Zach Wagner
GM/TB 7024

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:26 pm 
Imperial Recruit

I thought of some more questions for you at your convenience:

1. How much time was spent up front customizing the site and inputting the relevant data? I love that tour of duty tracker that's integrated in, for example, but I imagine we'd need to pull five years worth of that info to be complete. Is there anything you have available to that speed up that process, etc.?

2. How much time is spent on upkeep now? I imagine since so many things are integrated and shared that it wouldn't be that much at all, but gauging exactly how much more or less time it would take to maintain could be a big factor to determining a) if we could handle a site like that and b) how many people should be allocated to keep it going.

3. It appears if both our sites have phpBB as a base, which is a good starting point. Is there a specific version of phpBB message board that WI Garrison would need to run in order to run the custom code?

Thank you,

Zach Wagner
GM/TB 7024

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:45 pm 
Alpine Garrison Webmaster
Bounty Hunter Master

Trooper7024 wrote:
I thought of some more questions for you at your convenience:

No problem, Zach. Happy to answer your questions.

Trooper7024 wrote:
1. How much time was spent up front customizing the site and inputting the relevant data? I love that tour of duty tracker that's integrated in, for example, but I imagine we'd need to pull five years worth of that info to be complete. Is there anything you have available to that speed up that process, etc.?

While my mods which I call "Summit" run under the phpBB framework, most of the code is independent from the core functionality of phpBB. It will take a couple of hours for a Webmaster to make modifications to their own phpBB system to integrate "Summit" as well as modifying buttons and other graphics. When I do have the system ready for other garrisons to use, there will be a step-by-step guide.

As for getting your own garrison's Tour of Duty info into the system, the hardest part is going to be gathering the dates, locations, and attendance info. Putting the data into the system is actually quite easy. Here's a screenshot...

Trooper7024 wrote:
2. How much time is spent on upkeep now? I imagine since so many things are integrated and shared that it wouldn't be that much at all, but gauging exactly how much more or less time it would take to maintain could be a big factor to determining a) if we could handle a site like that and b) how many people should be allocated to keep it going.

When I first wrote this system to track TOD info, I only granted rights to update the rolls for events to 2-3 individuals in the Alpine Garrison. As the garrison started really growing and we started having well over 100 events a year, I realized that this was unmanageable. So I put out an update out to the system that takes members who serve as the Event Coordinator to automatically have rights to mark attendance for the events that they coordinate. I also have a handful of Garrison Officers who can update the rolls for any event. The easily spreads out the responsibility for keeping the TOD's up to date. I also have an automatic history/backup of all attendance data in case a mistake is made.

One underutilized feature that I need to get the Alpine Garrison back to is the ability to print out a paper roll to bring to events to place in the changing area for people to sign. It will even pre-populate the roll sheet with a list of the members who have previously committed to attend the event and which costume they planned to wear. That way they only have to check "Present" next to their name.

If you didn't notice, the system also keeps real time statistics on all events...
summit_stats.php

Trooper7024 wrote:
3. It appears if both our sites have phpBB as a base, which is a good starting point. Is there a specific version of phpBB message board that WI Garrison would need to run in order to run the custom code?

Technically, the Summit system will work with any version of phpBB3. I'll know for sure once I get a chance to Open Source the code and write an installation tutorial.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Mike Handy
"Handyman"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:41 pm 
Imperial Recruit

Thanks again for sharing this information!

What is your timeline for open sourcing the code and creating the install tutorial?

Zach Wagner
GM/TB 7024

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:57 pm 
Garrison Academy Instructor
TIE Pilot Master

Thank you for the kind words on our website

With guns this big who needs to aim
ID-TB-TI-IN-IG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:41 pm 
Imperial Recruit

Handyman,

If you're interested, the 501st Legion is looking into getting trooper tracking. I think you would be a great asset to the program. Please check out the info here: http://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=84786&hilit=trooper+tracker&start=20

This would benefit all garrisons being able to track using 501st back end, rather than every individual garrison setting up the same thing.

Thought you might be interested

Zach Wagner
GM/TB 7024

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 13 posts ] 

Time zone: America/Denver