Delete all board cookies

Time zone: America/Denver

Home Page Home Page  [ 4 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Review
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:19 pm 
Timberline Garrison
Bounty Hunter Apprentice

Ok I need to say one thing before I get started with this Review..

This is THE GAME you MUST get for you WII!!!

Now that I got that out of the way :lol: here is my review.

I could write a 10-page review of Twilight Princess, exploring every nook and cranny, detailing every character, every boss, and every last temple, but I don't want to spoil the adventure that awaits you. So I've done my best to keep significant story developments and weapon and item upgrades out of this review. But with that said this review does have some spoilers.

**WARNING SPOILERS**

When the game opens to a sweeping view of Link as he rides Epona across a vast landscape, you can't help conjuring memories of Ocarina's epic beginnings. Twilight Princess does indeed feel very much like Ocarina of Time for a new generation of players. Not only does Link start his quest from a small village on the outskirts of Hyrule proper, but he eventually makes his way to cities and temples that have all been seen before - in less detail, of course - almost a decade ago. But the game also sharply divides the old from the new by way of an engrossing storyline that travels Nintendo's beloved hero into an alternate realm known simply as the Twilight. It is from this beautiful bloom-filled, particle-drowned Hyrulian wasteland that some very different changes are introduced to the old gameplay formula.

For starters, Link changes into a wolf and takes on brand new beast abilities. Via some uncharacteristically well-choreographed cut-scenes, the aspiring warrior transforms into the four-legged animal. He is also introduced to Midna, a pivotal character to the storyline and quest. This is a dark world and it's complemented by a decidedly dark premise. Nintendo has utilized motion-capturing for characters and the added fluidity is immediately noticeable, but that's hardly the primary reason why these sequences are so welcomed. Rather, the tale has matured and advanced well beyond the templated save-the-princess routine and into something that holds interest not simply to support some well-rounded gameplay mechanics, but as an attraction of its own. As you play, you will generally want to know who Midna is and what here motivation to help Link might be.

Early on in the game, Link becomes trapped in the Twilight and - in wolf form - must fight to break free(Later in the adventure, he can switch between the forms at his whim and this mechanic is integrated into level designs and puzzles) Controlling the wolf is similar to maneuvering Link, but the beast form offers you greater speed, the ability to jump at will, a energy field that encapsulates and destroys the Twilight enemies. The wolf can also use the sense of smell to find hidden items, see the trapped spirits of Hyrule's inhabitants, and even follow a character's scent. All of these animal powers are not only integral to progressing, but quite a lot of fun in practice, too. Perhaps most importantly, though, is that Midna herself becomes accessible in wolf form and she is able to guide the beast to areas unattainable by Link.

The Wii's controls greatly enhance the experience - not detract from it. The general gameplay mechanics are similar to Wind Waker. Link is able to run through immense environments, target enemies, strafe around them, swipe and slash them with his blade and also use a variety of weapons in battle or to advance through a location. These polished fundamentals have been passed forward from Ocarina of Time to Majora's Mask and then to Wind Waker, and they are again serving as the backbone for Twilight Princess.The big difference is that on Wii you use both Nintendo's nunchuk attachment and its innovative new remote to manipulate Link and his weapons/items respectively. Gesturing with the Wii remote, you can easily and effortlessly swing the hero's sword. The gestures don't effect one-to-one movement, as so many had hoped. However, they perfectly replace the need for button taps,and after only a few minutes of familiarization become the preferable way to play. You don't need to flail your arms around like a monkey on fire in order to accurately control Link's blade - you can choose to make minimal movements and you will never run into a single issue. You can, alternatively, exact long, arching gestures and they will work, too. You won't get tired. After 20+hours of play time I wasn't akeing and wanting to stop. In contrast, I found myself much more immersed in the experience of combat, and a simulated sword swipe is simply more engaging and therein more satisfying than pressing a button. :twisted:

Furthermore, the advantages of the Wii remote become clear when Link uses projectile weapons. When Link is armed with the Gale Boomerang, the Slingshot, the Hookshot or any of the other projectile weapons, targeting with the pointer is so far and away better than using an analog stick that the latter pales by comparison. The Wii remote opens up a level of speed and accuracy never before experienced in a Zelda title and you will within a matter of hours be able to ride Epona through Hyrule Field while delivering fatal bow-and-arrow headshots to ground-based and airborne foes. To the point: this new method of control obliterates the former one and there is no going back.

By mid-game, Link can also call upon Midna to warp all over the map, cutting down on what could be tedious travel, especially if you need to go back and forth between provinces.

Twilight Princess is a gargantuan adventure filled with a dazzling variety of places to see, people and creatures to meet and things to do.With all of the main and side quests and mini games you are looking at more than 50 hrs of game play. As an example, In one corner of the map there is a beautiful, lifelike pond whose primary purpose is to house fish. You could conceivably spend hours upon hours at this location doing nothing but casting your lure. A robust fishing mechanic has been enhanced through the use of the Wii remote and nunchuk and as a result the process of catching a big one is all the more engrossing. There are an impressive number of other side quests and mini games that follow this same, impressive structure.

When Link isn't riding Epona, transforming into wolves, speeding down streams or snowboarding on an ice shard 1080-style over a powdery peak, he's usually in a temple - there are almost 10 of them. Some of these dungeons will seem familiar to Ocarina of Time fans. You will travel to the obligatory lava-filled Goron Temple and you will see the Forest Temple, too. That being noted, these locations are completely changed from their predecessor's counterparts; they're packed with new and clever puzzles, infested with fresh enemies, and just as you will use recognizable items and weapons to traverse them, so will you gain access to brand new ones - a few of them exceptionally awesome. (youll just have to play the game and see for your self :P )

The game world is vast and beautifully designed. Nintendo's artists have worked overtime to model the characters and locations that make up Hyrule and it shows. Link features more detail than ever before and many of the enemies that looked quasi-silly in previous Zelda titles are now genuinely spooky. Take, for instance, the Poes -- ghosts which now feature designs that resemble the grim reaper.

There are definitely visual standouts. The shimmering, realistic water in the game is gorgeous. The Twilight Realm's bloomy art style is equally impressive. And the particle and lighting effects that highlight everything from flowing lava to fights with enemies are second to none. The whole game runs smoothly at 30 frames despite the fact that it spits out the biggest world in Zelda history.

As with any great game, there are a few down falls.Twilight Princess is a GameCube port and therefore not wholly indicative of what we can expect visually from truly ground-up Wii titles.the Game is a little better visually because in addition to supporting a progressive-scan mode it also outputs an exclusive 16:9 widescreen display.
This was originally a GCN title and that truth is visible. Some of the textures, particularly those skinning the admittedly immense Hyrule Field, are blurry and even ugly. Nintendo also has an unfortunate tendency to frame cinematics with blurry structures and other objects in the background, which detracts from the presentation. Nintendo also missed a big opportunity where music is concerned. Twilight Princess features wonderful tracks, but the majority of them are MIDI-based and not orchestrated. The MIDI tunes are passable, but they lack the punch and crispness of their orchestrated counterparts.

All in all this could quite be the best Zelda game ever made. Any one who wants a great starter game for you Wii console sould go out and pick yourself up a copy of this one.

A big thums up

-Willy-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:26 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet 1st Class

i totally agree this game was great when i first tried it on the WII because the wii is the greatest of all next gen systems and if anyone thinks othere wise they will burn in a fire inferno

anyway this game is awsome i love the wolf going around shreding every person in the way :twisted:
this is a fun but long game when you get the master sword your maybe 10-20% done with the game :?: so dont feel bad if it takes you a while to beet it just as he said

TWO THUMBS WAY UP
and if your a wolf ALL PAWS UP

I AM SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG! THIS IS WHO I AM! - SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG IN HIS GREAT GAME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:44 pm 
Alpine Garrison Webmaster
Bounty Hunter Master

Well... I own this game already but lack the system to play it on. :?

I've been a big Zelda fan for years and can't wait to play it. I didn't read your review yet, Willy, because I'm avoiding spoilers for this game until I actually get a chance to play through it. :wink:

Can't wait.....

ARGH! :x

Mike Handy
"Handyman"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:17 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet 2nd Class

There's a reason the GameInformer magazine gave this game a rare 10/10 score, guys... ^_^ *DIES to play*

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 4 posts ] 

Time zone: America/Denver