Delete all board cookies

Time zone: America/Denver

Home Page Home Page  [ 15 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: My new Sandtrooper helmet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:58 pm 
Timberline Garrison
Sandtrooper Master

Here's my new CAP-W helmet. Izzi asked me to bring my pics over here, so here's a copy of the review I posted on our boards:

I just acquired a CAP-W helmet kit in a trade with Izzi. I wanted to post here about it.

This kit is GREAT! Right out of the box I was pleasantly surprised to discover it comes with everything except the paint. Brow trim, neck trim, screws, decals, mic tips, lens material... all is included.

The kit comes rough-trimmed, but you have to do final trim on it. Fortunately, there are very visible trim lines on every piece, and I had my trimmed out with a dremel in about 40 minutes.

The face pull is SHARP. Very very sharp details. The eye sockets are pulled really deep, which is nice. There are again good, clean trim lines in the eyes so you know exactly where to cut. The frown is the same way, nice deep pulls so it's pretty easy to cut out the "teeth" for ventilation.

At first inspection ,the dome pull seems soft and of lower quality. The trapezoids aren't deep at all, and the dome itself is not smooth but "bubbly". However, this is accurate to a screen-used helmet, and contributes to the overall look of the helmet. Once it's assembled and painted, it looks exactly like it's supposed to.

The helmet assembles nicely. The cap and back are formed in one piece (like the screen-used helmets), and once you trim the pieces out, the cap/back simply overlay the front, and you screw it together at the side with one screw on each side. There's plenty of extra plastic on the front of the cap, so you can decide if you want to make the brow straight, or raise it a bit like some troopers.

You then attach the ear caps with the 3 screen-accurate screws (the hole locations are even marked in the vacuforming of the caps) and you have a good, solid helmet.

The helmet is pulled in styrene plastic. It's a good, solid helmet pull, but because it's styrene, it requires painting to gloss it up. I used rustoleum white primer, followed by rustoleum gloss white enamel, and it glossed up really nicely.

The resin-cast mic tips are accurate (you can even read the hovi label stamped into them at the base) and come with screws cast into them, to mount them to the helmet. They include some metal screen to insert in them, which may have been the most frustrating part of the build for me. Cutting the metal screen into a circle and fitting it into the mic tips was a bit difficult, and you don't get enough to have a 2nd chance if you screw it up.

The only drawback that I really discovered is this: The area that the mic tips install into is such a deep pull, that the plastic is VERY thin at the back of these "wells". However, this issue isn't unique to the CAP-W helmet, and the kit includes a couple pieces of extra plastic to mount behind this area to reinforce the helmet. (NOTE: The newer kits from CAP-W are pulled from heavier plastic and probably won't have this issue).

Because I'm doing a sandtrooper with this helmet, I chose not to use the decals for the grey "traps" in the helmet, but rather mask them off and paint them solid grey, with "hand-painted" black borders (I used a black sharpie, and will probably re-do it at some point). The decals however are very nice, sturdy, vinyl decals. I did use the blue tube stripe decals, as there's no way I could hand-paint them.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with this helmet kit and will definately be recommending it to others. The price is great, and you simply can't get this accurate of a helmet from anyone else for the money.

As for size, this helmet is smaller than the MRCE. Not by much, but enough. However, my 6-foot tall, 260 pound son was able to put it on his head, so it's not too small. It's actually much closer to accurate size. See the pics below of it next to my MRCE. It's also MUCH lighter than my MRCE helmet. My MRCE weighs just over 2 pounds. The CAP-W weighs about 18 ounces.

One quick note: Like the FX helmet, I used hot glue to glue the lenses in. However, I used High temp glue, and the glue was too hot and warped the plastic under the left eye (right as you're looking at the helmet). So, if the left eye seems droopy in the photos, that's my fault and is not a flaw in the helmet mold.

The lens on my blackberry makes the helmet look "squished" in this photo. It's not.

CAP-W on the left, MRCE on the right

And here are pics of the final, weathered helmet. I need to touch up the paint in the chin/vocoder area, but other than that, it's ready for troopin'!

Post subject: Re: My new Sandtrooper helmet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:06 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Special Operations Apprentice

Looks great Doug :)

If I be waspish, best beware my sting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:55 am 
Alpine Garrison Member

That is beautiful! To think that was sitting in my garage for awhile. Makes me want to build a sandy... almost...

-iz

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in this post are not shared by the 501st, Alpine Garrison, or it's command staff.
2011 Spec Ops DL / First Novatrooper Elite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:13 am 
Inactive Alpine Garrison Member
Special Operations 1st Class

izzi, the universe will implode when you wear white armor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:47 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
Imperial Crew Master

Iz you could always make a shadow dirty with white sand.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:05 am 
Timberline Garrison
Sith Lord Master

Every time Doug makes a post like this with pictures I always feel like chiming in a saying, "My! What clean counters Doug has in his house! He must have an amazing wife!" :wink:

True 501st Spirit : CELEBRATE - PROMOTE - CONTRIBUTE
Proudly serving the Empire since 2004
DS-3900 / ID-3900 / TI-3900 / TK-3900

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:17 am 
Alpine Garrison Member

ondiv wrote:
Every time Doug makes a post like this with pictures I always feel like chiming in a saying, "My! What clean counters Doug has in his house! He must have an amazing wife!" :wink:

Hurray for clean counters!

-iz

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in this post are not shared by the 501st, Alpine Garrison, or it's command staff.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:22 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Stormtrooper Master

Thanks for posting that, I've been thinking about obtaining an additional more accurate helmet than my MRCE, but worried that a more accurate helmet will be too small for me to wear. Seeing the size comparison of these two shows me that a Cap W is the way for me to go.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:49 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Stormtrooper Master

Looks great!

TK1970 - Shane

"I can see your shwartz is as big as mine!"
"Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:17 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Imperial Officer Master

Beautiful job Doug, that is really a good looking bucket.

We will fight on the beaches, we will fight on the landing grounds, we will fight in the streets and in the fields. We will never surrender. Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:56 pm 
Timberline Garrison
Sandtrooper Master

bluehickey wrote:
Thanks for posting that, I've been thinking about obtaining an additional more accurate helmet than my MRCE, but worried that a more accurate helmet will be too small for me to wear. Seeing the size comparison of these two shows me that a Cap W is the way for me to go.

Yeah you should have no problem. I've installed my fans too. The only thing you'll want to do is trim a bit more out of the neck area, especially towards the front, than what's marked. I'm actually going to do it to mine. The neck area's a bit tight as marked, but once it's on your head, there's quite a bit of room.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:06 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Stormtrooper Master

Yeah, I tried on Adam's AP helmet which had the neck trimmed out even more and I couldn't get the helmet on my head! So as much as I love the look of the AP helmet, I knew it wasn't for me, just too small. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:36 pm 
Timberline Garrison
Sandtrooper Master

bluehickey wrote:
Yeah, I tried on Adam's AP helmet which had the neck trimmed out even more and I couldn't get the helmet on my head! So as much as I love the look of the AP helmet, I knew it wasn't for me, just too small. :cry:

Hmmm... then you might have trouble. It's my understanding that the CAP-W and AP are descendant of the same source....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:57 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Stormtrooper Master

jedi5150 wrote:
bluehickey wrote:

Hmmm... then you might have trouble. It's my understanding that the CAP-W and AP are descendant of the same source....

I'll have to try on one of Izzi's first then. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:08 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member

Yeah, just show up sometime and put on a helmet. I have hard hat suspensions in mine, so that'll shrink them down. I'll have to see if I have one without the suspension put in it already.

-iz

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 15 posts ] 

Time zone: America/Denver