Home Page Home Page  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 

Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Facebook page
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:13 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
Royal Guard 1st Class

I was wondering if we were going to have a Facebook page specifically for Trooping Events, promotion of those events, pictures, and to be able to let garrison members know about important votes?

This would cut down on the problems of people not knowing about pictures, trooping in all parts of the state, etc. if they do not always look on the forums.

Post subject: Re: Facebook page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:24 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
Royal Guard 1st Class

Wow, 24 hours and not one single response! I thought that this Garrison was working to bring everyone together?? Guess no one wants ideas to help the process.

redblurr likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:53 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
AT-AT Driver 3rd Class

That is the problem, having multiple venues to communicate trooping events will lead to this exact thing.

It is already being seen on the FB Comlink which was created specifically for non-event socializing, but already is being used as a primary form of event and garrison communication, to the detriment of the website and deliberate exclusion of those members who are either not on FB or choose not to be in the Comlink.

Having a single main focus point for disseminating information is what we need. One that will not automatically discriminate against certain members. The website, for all it's drawbacks, is equally accessible to ALL members.

Members should NOT be required to get a FB account or be part of a "social" FB group to get accurate and timely information on official events.

capthank, LoveMonkey, and Wolf253M like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:30 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Royal Guard 1st Class

redblurr wrote:
That is the problem, having multiple venues to communicate trooping events will lead to this exact thing.

It is already being seen on the FB Comlink which was created specifically for non-event socializing, but already is being used as a primary form of event and garrison communication, to the detriment of the website and deliberate exclusion of those members who are either not on FB or choose not to be in the Comlink.

Having a single main focus point for disseminating information is what we need. One that will not automatically discriminate against certain members. The website, for all it's drawbacks, is equally accessible to ALL members.

Members should NOT be required to get a FB account or be part of a "social" FB group to get accurate and timely information on official events.

I agree, there needs to be something for a single focus. I am open to ideas since the Comlink hasn’t been that this year. I just thought of another FB page since that is easy. But, as you mention, we all shouldn’t need to have accounts for that. We do need an area that is easier accessed from phones and tablets for everyone with the info we need, not the continued drama.

All I want is to be able to promote our Trooping Events in all areas and get more involvement from the Garrison, which I don’t even see on the Forums.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:30 pm 
Alpine Garrison Executive Officer
Sith Lord Apprentice

capthank wrote:
I was wondering if we were going to have a Facebook page specifically for Trooping Events, promotion of those events, pictures, and to be able to let garrison members know about important votes?

This would cut down on the problems of people not knowing about pictures, trooping in all parts of the state, etc. if they do not always look on the forums.

Henry,
According to the charter the Forums are the main platform for garrison business. If there is ever something posted to comlink we typically try to cross post it over to the forums, but as you noticed based on your second response, The forums do not get checked as often or as easily as facebook does. This means that for quick updates on events or discussions regarding them will likely happen on the Comlink but all pertinent information regarding the event is also typically on the event thread as well.

redblurr wrote:

Neil, I understand the desire to have all information in one place but that simply does not work. We have tried that in the past and it very simply put did not work well for getting information out in a timely manner. Our webmaster is working on making the forums more moble friendly but that is a huge job.
Regarding the accusation that people are being "Deliberately" excluded. That is simply not the case. Not everyone HAS to sign up for facebook, a couple of people have chosen to remove themselves from it (which is your prerogative). But unfortunately if you want the information kept as up to date as possible, that is where it happens for now until we find a better alternative. The Comlink was voted in for use by the membership. General event information is and will continue to be posted and sign ups on the site.

Rather than making complaints and accusations about us not "wanting to bring this Garrison together". Lets make discussion like this constructive and come up with ideas. Also patience is required Henry because it is not uncommon for members to go 3-4 days up to weeks at a time without checking the forums. Command does regularly check the website and replies as soon as we are able to.

Garrison Executive Officer
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:23 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Sandtrooper Apprentice

Dallen, I think part of the problem here is the timeliness of cross posting. Garrison business/events are not posted in a timely manner on the forums, which leads for many to see the Comlink as the preferred area for official business or that the Comlink is slowly replacing the forums permanently. Let me give you 2 examples from the past few days alone.

1. McD posted some information on the Comlink a few days ago regarding paid LFL appearances and use of your costume. I saw this on the Comlink shortly after it was posted. I checked the forums and didn't see anything. I checked the forums again, 17 hours after the Comlink post, and still nothing. I then had to ask McD to cross post the information.

2. The Jazz game event is tonight. I'm not personally going due to work but I've somewhat followed the event thread. Last night, I noticed that Jason Luu posted on the Comlink that since the event was today, all future communication for the event would only be on Facebook. As I'm not going, I didn't think anything of it. I was then on the forums shortly after and noticed several members asking for event information, parking information, etc. I had to ask Jason to update the forums for those who are not on the Comlink.

So the big question I have is why such the delay in cross posting? I've thought through this, and if you simply cut/paste information from the Comlink to a forum thread or vice versa, it should take maybe 30 seconds to a minute. All it takes is cut/paste, it doesn't have to be rewritten or anything else. Since I know it would be so quick to cross post (and I've cross posted stuff numerous times, so I know how long it takes), I struggle to understand why there is such a delay other than it feels like the Comlink is given preference.

Last, and on a side note, is my personal feelings. I'm getting tired of Facebook drama/politics/negativity as a whole, not just on the Comlink. I'd love to either get rid of or greatly reduce my Facebook usage. However, I know I can't and I feel that the Comlink has me hostage because I know due to the lack of timely cross posting, if I get off Facebook I will miss Garrison business or events.

My suggestion is the same as Neil's - we need a more centralized area for communication and events. I'm not saying get rid of the Comlink, it's serves many members in a way they want and has been voted in. So I'm not suggesting getting rid of the Comlink. I'd ask that event and official business be handled on the forums only and that the Comlink be posted with links to the forum threads. That way everyone sees the items on Facebook but all coordination and business be done in one central area.

Wolf253M likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:46 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Special Operations Apprentice

Part of the problem in crossposting is that the website is just not user-friendly if posting from a cell phone or tablet.. And not all of us have easy constant access to a desktop. But we do our phones.
Perhaps if the garrison site used tapatalk like most of the Detatchment forums then it would be easier to update both simultaneously.
It is beyond frustrating to try and post something on the forum and have submit button blocked by the text box.. Has happend fairly often to me when trying to comment on the scanning crew forums etc.. Sometimes I try several times before I am able to post.. This is surely contributing to the delays in cross posting. I agree we need a better nore mobile friendly forum. I don't think we need anymore fb pages than we already have

If I be waspish, best beware my sting

capthank and jason10012 like this post.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:06 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
AT-AT Driver 3rd Class

Drast wrote:
Neil, I understand the desire to have all information in one place but that simply does not work. We have tried that in the past and it very simply put did not work well for getting information out in a timely manner. Our webmaster is working on making the forums more moble friendly but that is a huge job.
Regarding the accusation that people are being "Deliberately" excluded. That is simply not the case. Not everyone HAS to sign up for facebook, a couple of people have chosen to remove themselves from it (which is your prerogative). But unfortunately if you want the information kept as up to date as possible, that is where it happens for now until we find a better alternative. The Comlink was voted in for use by the membership. General event information is and will continue to be posted and sign ups on the site.

Dallen, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

The forum is the designated location for event information. I should not have to be either on FB or part of the comlink for up to date garrison or EVENT information. The comlink was voted in for use as a SOCIAL platform, not for OFFICIAL use. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am in 110% agreement with Kirk.

With the current undercurrent in the garrison, i feel the need to point out that while I disagree with your position on this matter, I respect you Dallen. Seems a lot of people lately are of the opinion that there is no middle ground, you either agree 110% or you are 110% against.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:47 pm 
Alpine Garrison Executive Officer
Sith Lord Apprentice

LoveMonkey wrote:
Dallen, I think part of the problem here is the timeliness of cross posting. Garrison business/events are not posted in a timely manner on the forums, which leads for many to see the Comlink as the preferred area for official business or that the Comlink is slowly replacing the forums permanently. Let me give you 2 examples from the past few days alone.

1. McD posted some information on the Comlink a few days ago regarding paid LFL appearances and use of your costume. I saw this on the Comlink shortly after it was posted. I checked the forums and didn't see anything. I checked the forums again, 17 hours after the Comlink post, and still nothing. I then had to ask McD to cross post the information.

2. The Jazz game event is tonight. I'm not personally going due to work but I've somewhat followed the event thread. Last night, I noticed that Jason Luu posted on the Comlink that since the event was today, all future communication for the event would only be on Facebook. As I'm not going, I didn't think anything of it. I was then on the forums shortly after and noticed several members asking for event information, parking information, etc. I had to ask Jason to update the forums for those who are not on the Comlink.

So the big question I have is why such the delay in cross posting? I've thought through this, and if you simply cut/paste information from the Comlink to a forum thread or vice versa, it should take maybe 30 seconds to a minute. All it takes is cut/paste, it doesn't have to be rewritten or anything else. Since I know it would be so quick to cross post (and I've cross posted stuff numerous times, so I know how long it takes), I struggle to understand why there is such a delay other than it feels like the Comlink is given preference.

Last, and on a side note, is my personal feelings. I'm getting tired of Facebook drama/politics/negativity as a whole, not just on the Comlink. I'd love to either get rid of or greatly reduce my Facebook usage. However, I know I can't and I feel that the Comlink has me hostage because I know due to the lack of timely cross posting, if I get off Facebook I will miss Garrison business or events.

My suggestion is the same as Neil's - we need a more centralized area for communication and events. I'm not saying get rid of the Comlink, it's serves many members in a way they want and has been voted in. So I'm not suggesting getting rid of the Comlink. I'd ask that event and official business be handled on the forums only and that the Comlink be posted with links to the forum threads. That way everyone sees the items on Facebook but all coordination and business be done in one central area.

Kirk I can certainly agree that there has been drama on Facebook both comlink and on personal pages that a lot of us can see. It is tiresome. This type of drama is easily dragged over to forum threads as well if we are not careful.
I do have a few thoughts though on the issues you brought up. The post McD did reminding people that we are not allowed to take money for events and they are not approved. This was a REMINDER. If you are a 501st member, you are expected to know the Charter and OP and this shouldnt have to be restated. There have been issues with it recently so we felt that a reminder was appropriate. In my opinion it didnt need to be cross posted, however it was, albeit 17 hours later at your request via the comlink. Its very much the same with the Emergency Election. Everyone has access to the 501st forum where it was CLEARLY stated by the LCOG the process of the EE and timelines. We took it upon ourselves to do a reminder post in both the forums and comlink because we know that most people dont go to the forums to get the information (although they definitely made it there to vote as we had a very high turnout). People will typically access the information in the easiest way possible for them. For most, that is via facebook. You are not required to have facebook and I am sorry if you felt that the comlink has held you hostage. Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to get the information across as quickly as it needs to be otherwise. Rest assured we typically try to post all garrison business on the forums either at the same time as we post it to the comlink or prior.
Tonight's event that you brought up is a good example, Helping organize the jazz game, make sure we have costumers in the right spot (which changes sometimes minute to minute) being on the event hosts clock, it is unrealistic to expect everything to be cross posted to forums. If it cannot be discussed in real time in a format that is used by the vast majority of the membership then it most likely just cant be updated and people would be in the dark. This is not poor communication as many have accused the current command staff of, its just logistics. It is easy to say all it takes is a cut and paste but that is easier said than done while organizing/trooping the event itself.

redblurr wrote:
Dallen, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

The forum is the designated location for event information. I should not have to be either on FB or part of the comlink for up to date garrison or EVENT information. The comlink was voted in for use as a SOCIAL platform, not for OFFICIAL use. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am in 110% agreement with Kirk.

With the current undercurrent in the garrison, i feel the need to point out that while I disagree with your position on this matter, I respect you Dallen. Seems a lot of people lately are of the opinion that there is no middle ground, you either agree 110% or you are 110% against.

Neil, the respect is mutual and I appreciate the discussion and I think we likely agree more than we disagree. The primary event planning should be done on the forums and where attendance is marked. But when you have a question 5 minutes prior to the event, are you going to post it on the forums where you likely are not going to get an answer or do you go to where you know 90% of the garrison is active and could give you a response? Again like in my response to Kirk, its about logistics. Regarding the vote to have the comlink, The comlink is largely unstructured. It is something that could be much more clearly defined as to its purpose. One of its purposes was to allow quick communication regarding events despite not being our main platform (the forum) among other purposes like being a social area for us to talk star wars with like minded individuals.

Troopers, I truly can understand how some of you may feel sick of all the drama and why a couple of you have left the comlink over it or want to. A few people have even threatened and left the garrison/legion allegedly over it. I too have felt tired of all the this side that side crap that has gone on and when I think maybe I should quit I ask myself, Does that help anything? If you do not like how the garrison is being run, help change it. Dont get offended if every idea you have does not get adopted. But there is a process in place to change or adjust it, and an election every year if you feel you have not been listened to. Don't just throw your hands up and quit, work with current command to make this the garrison you want it to be and if that doesn't work, elect new command staff. I love the Garrison, I love the good that we do, and the people I do that with and that is why I put up with the stuff I dont like so much. If you truly do care about the Garrison, and what we do, then just troop. Dont quit after making a big public announcement about it, dont complain everytime you disagree with something, dont look to point out every flaw you can find. Just troop, and try to remember what it is about this that you love.

Garrison Executive Officer
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:07 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
Sith Lord 1st Class

I agree that there are always people complaining without ideas or suggestions. Unfortunately from what I have seen when you do try to come up with alternatives or suggestions you get bullied or people tell you that command staff were voted in and their word is law so if you don't like it then just get over it. It has basically stopped me from wanting to post any kinds of ideas or suggestions. Hopefully times are changing and discussions can be more civil.

I think the issue is that the comlink needs to be more structured like you stated. It is either for people to post anything and everything like they have been, or for event communication, or something. It is usually the only way I find out about things going on because it isn't posted to the forums or it is just easier, but there is often a lot of unrelated stuff and some members seem to post every little thing in their life on it. What would it take to make it more structured? That could be a good thing to draft up and put to a vote.

Also every election cycle the candidate talks about updating the site and forums, and it hasn't ever happened. Maybe put that as a focus since it is constantly brought up as a frustration.

capthank likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:49 am 
Alpine Garrison Commanding Officer
Special Operations Master

I wanted to add to this briefly. Thank you Dallen, you have done a great job answering.

The initial topic of this post was a FB page that allowed for communication. I'm a little confused as we have one called the comlink. It provides the requested information that was suggested. It's available to all members.

The decision to start this fb page was based on member feedback.

Specifically:

Why was event attendance low. Members indicated they didn't know about the event. When we asked how often members went to the site we found it was very seldom. When asked about wanting a FB page for streamlining events and communication the membership overwhelmingly voted yes. The membership indicated that nearly all had fb as well.

We have and will continue to post official Garrison information to the website. It will be done within a timely manner. Website forum participation and efficiency of such sites for ease of access and information dissemination is rarely comparable to what FB and social media provide. There seems to be some finger pointing, politicing in theses responses which is not helpful to actual discussion or resolution. Nor is it helpful to moving forward after recent events. Going backwards and doing something again that didn't work before is not helpful nor intuitive. Reverting to "All on the website" is not what the majority of the membership asked for.

If you have ideas that are constructive, and that add to the current process I welcome discussion. We have a broad base of amazing and talented people, how can we utilize what we have more efficiently without undue burden in duplicating already existent process.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:57 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Clone Commander Apprentice

LoveMonkey wrote:

Kirk one thing I've been doing is to make sure I'm in contact with those that are not on Facebook or comlink directly.

You can ask instead of assuming what is going on.
In the end nobody missed a major update if they weren't on comlink I made sure to contact them directly to ensure that they received any information that
Important.

Secondly to address the timeliness of course posting. I do what I can but with a busy schedule I simply dont have the time to cross post every event when the forum doesn't play nice on mobile platforms. I don't have the luxury of being at s computer all of the day and when I am I don't have the luxury of being able to conduct Garrison business on it as I'm usually working.

Also with how often people check the forums it's faster to update people directly or via Facebook.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:59 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
Royal Guard 1st Class

McD wrote:
I wanted to add to this briefly. Thank you Dallen, you have done a great job answering.

The initial topic of this post was a FB page that allowed for communication. I'm a little confused as we have one called the comlink. It provides the requested information that was suggested. It's available to all members.

The decision to start this fb page was based on member feedback.

Specifically:

Why was event attendance low. Members indicated they didn't know about the event. When we asked how often members went to the site we found it was very seldom. When asked about wanting a FB page for streamlining events and communication the membership overwhelmingly voted yes. The membership indicated that nearly all had fb as well.

We have and will continue to post official Garrison information to the website. It will be done within a timely manner. Website forum participation and efficiency of such sites for ease of access and information dissemination is rarely comparable to what FB and social media provide. There seems to be some finger pointing, politicing in theses responses which is not helpful to actual discussion or resolution. Nor is it helpful to moving forward after recent events. Going backwards and doing something again that didn't work before is not helpful nor intuitive. Reverting to "All on the website" is not what the majority of the membership asked for.

If you have ideas that are constructive, and that add to the current process I welcome discussion. We have a broad base of amazing and talented people, how can we utilize what we have more efficiently without undue burden in duplicating already existent process.

So, what is your solution to this problem?? What will you do to get all of us who quit the Comlink to come back to it?? Will the Comlink be SPECIFICALLY for TROOPS, Trooping Events, and Garrison voting business Only?? Or will it continue to be the social mess that it has been with the few who dominate it with their drama?????

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:18 pm 
Alpine Garrison Commanding Officer
Special Operations Master

Let's please ensure that this conversation is constructive. The comlink, as previously mentioned was created to address the lack of participation on the website from event awareness to general discussions. Social interaction was and is a part of the comlink. Reducing and or eliminating social interaction is not what the majority of the membership wishes.

I previously addressed this same topic multiple times during the election Q&A. Without repeating all answers, I expect our membership to have civil discourse on the forums and the comlink. There is a process in place for moderation when needed with the GCOGs, the CO and the XO. Action to minimize and reduce inappropriate behavior will be taken as/when needed. We have a large and growing Garrison and with that comes diversity. The key to ensuring civility is not censorship, and I have no intention to do so.

All members are welcome to join the comlink. Official Garrison information pertinent to the membership and events will continue to be posted to the forums for those who prefer to not utilize FB.

Kirsty likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:47 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
Royal Guard 1st Class

McD wrote:
Let's please ensure that this conversation is constructive. The comlink, as previously mentioned was created to address the lack of participation on the website from event awareness to general discussions. Social interaction was and is a part of the comlink. Reducing and or eliminating social interaction is not what the majority of the membership wishes.

I previously addressed this same topic multiple times during the election Q&A. Without repeating all answers, I expect our membership to have civil discourse on the forums and the comlink. There is a process in place for moderation when needed with the GCOGs, the CO and the XO. Action to minimize and reduce inappropriate behavior will be taken as/when needed. We have a large and growing Garrison and with that comes diversity. The key to ensuring civility is not censorship, and I have no intention to do so.

All members are welcome to join the comlink. Official Garrison information pertinent to the membership and events will continue to be posted to the forums for those who prefer to not utilize FB.

Why didn’t you just say it’s business as usual?? You are allowing those few who have bullied and caused problems to continue to control the Comlink with no punishment while the rest of us are tired of the crap and leave. I love when people give good ideas and suggestions that are to help bring the group back together and they are blown off.

redblurr likes this post.
Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 

Time zone: America/Denver