Home Page Home Page Home Page Home Page
AlpineGarrison.com

Official webpage for the Alpine Garrison of the 501st Legion

Serving the great state of Utah since 1999









  Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

Time zone: America/Denver


Home Page Home Page  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
 
Previous topic | Next topic 
Author Message
Offline 
 Post subject: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:09 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Stormtrooper Master

Joined: October 12, 2004
Posts: 634
Location: American Fork
Age: 50
Seriously… am I the only one in the entire world who did not like "The Force Awakens"?

"If you mess with the best,
you die like the rest"!
Michael Carrasco


  Profile  
 
Top
Lord Helmet likes this post.
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:23 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
User avatar
Stormtrooper Master

Joined: April 6, 2009
Posts: 1921
Location: Orem, Utah
Age: 43
Vaders spawn wrote:
Seriously… am I the only one in the entire world who did not like "The Force Awakens"?


I've been struggling with it a lot too. I really like it, but the plot holes as well as the face that it mimics A New Hope so much is really bugging me. I want to love it, but I just can't get past the issues I have with it.

Image

Image


  Profile  
 
Top
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:28 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
User avatar
Sandtrooper Apprentice

Joined: May 25, 2015
Posts: 1639
Location: Eagle Mountain
Age: 31
I would say that I liked it quite abit. It is much better than the prequels and a good movie, but in my opinion nowhere near as good as the originals. It took on the necessary transition from the old cast to the new cast and did so pretty well.

I think that the setup for episode 8 was good and episode 8 could make this movie better depending on where it goes.

Image


  Profile  
 
Top
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:27 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
User avatar
Stormtrooper Apprentice

Joined: July 21, 2010
Posts: 1012
That thing that happened. That thing that happened was bad. Very bad.

ImageImage


  Profile  
 
Top
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:27 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
User avatar
Stormtrooper Apprentice

Joined: May 4, 2013
Posts: 642
Location: SLC, Utah
Age: 36
I realize not everyone will like the film for their own reasons, but if you consider everything within the film and the fact that this film was made with the PLAN of a trilogy in mind as opposed to George Lucas making 4 and 6 without any solid plans to ever make sequels to those films at the time they were made, I think that this film will grow on you over time.

The sense I get from most people who didn't like it, is that they couldn't get past "the thing that happened" or that they felt the cyclical nature of the "ring theory" or the hero's adventure was too similar to what they have seen in the previous OT films.

To all of these things... I say to you... give it time. Take it for what it is, enjoy what you love about it, hold on what you dislike about it for now, and reflect on this in a year and a half to four years once you've seen episodes 8 & 9 :wink:

Image
Image


  Profile  
 
Top
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:37 pm 
Garrison Academy Instructor
User avatar
TIE Pilot Master

Joined: March 4, 2013
Posts: 631
Location: north salt lake utah
Age: 46
I went with an opened mind when I went to go see it. And knowing it would be better that the prequel's and it wouldn't be as good as the original trilogy. With that said.. I liked it

With guns this big who needs to aim
ID-TB-TI-IN-IG
Image


  Profile  
 
Top
mikkonator likes this post.
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:10 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
User avatar
Sandtrooper Apprentice

Joined: May 25, 2015
Posts: 1639
Location: Eagle Mountain
Age: 31
Fortytwo wrote:
I went with an opened mind when I went to go see it. And knowing it would be better that the prequel's and it wouldn't be as good as the original trilogy. With that said.. I liked it


Agreed.

Image


  Profile  
 
Top
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:57 am 
Inactive Alpine Garrison Member
User avatar
Clone Commander Enlistee

Joined: October 15, 2010
Posts: 100
Location: South Jordan
Age: 31
I agree with FortyTwo.

I skipped all the trailers and spoilers before the release and just went to watch a star wars movie without any expectations. I've found thats the best way to enjoy a movie. If you're not counting on anything specific to happen or take place, you can only come out with a good experience.


  Profile  
 
Top
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:19 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
User avatar
Sandtrooper Master

Joined: September 5, 2013
Posts: 1757
Here are my thoughts:

1- I loved it. Mostly because it was shiny.
2- I think the story lines were too much of a rehash.
3- I think the sound track was flat. No "iconic" music. The trailer had more iconic music than the movie did.
4- I think Carrie Fisher's acting was very flat. Not a commentary on her age, looks, etc. Just on her acting.
5- I loved BB-8.
6- Kylo Ren was a serious bada$$.
7- The First Order: WOW. FINALLY.

SciFiChick
TD-5096
Image


  Profile  
 
Top
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:01 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
User avatar
Sandtrooper Apprentice

Joined: May 25, 2015
Posts: 1639
Location: Eagle Mountain
Age: 31
SciFiChick wrote:
Here are my thoughts:
7- The First Order: WOW. FINALLY.


It was so satisfying to see stormtroopers that could hit their target and were a real threat to be dealt with. I hope to see much more of this going forward.

Image


  Profile  
 
Top
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:18 am 
Alpine Garrison Member
User avatar
Sith Lord 1st Class

Joined: June 23, 2004
Posts: 6938
Location: Orem, Utah
Age: 43
I've seen it twice, and I still can't decide if I liked it or not.

Mark "IV"
SL-3478


  Profile  
 
Top
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:53 pm 
Garrison Captain of the Guard
User avatar
Clone Trooper Master

Joined: May 15, 2007
Posts: 1322
Location: Midvale, UT
Age: 42
There were many problems with the movie. But by far, my biggest problem was the whole Starkiller Base. Not only was it a rip-off of the Death Star (been there-done that) but I just don't understand some of the logistics regarding the base.

1. It sucks the energy of the sun, right? So which sun did it siphon to destroy the Republic's capitol planet?

2. As they siphon the star at the end of the film, wouldn't it destroy the planet's gravity, orbit and climate? Wouldn't everyone on the planet literally freeze to death?

3. And as the planet gets hurled out into space (because now there's no gravity and solar orbit), how could the base possibly fire its weapon because it rotational axis and orbit will be destroyed?

4. Does Starkiller Base move? Because where are they going to get another energy source?

I had no problem with the Death Star. It was stated very clearly that it's a space station. And we saw it move to Alderaan, and then to Yavin. But Starkiller Base, not only it being a complete retread, just seemed like a dumb plot device. They may as well have had the entire Starkiller Base transform into Mega-Maid.

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam


  Profile  
 
Top
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:11 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
User avatar
Sandtrooper Apprentice

Joined: May 25, 2015
Posts: 1639
Location: Eagle Mountain
Age: 31
jacketrat wrote:
There were many problems with the movie. But by far, my biggest problem was the whole Starkiller Base. Not only was it a rip-off of the Death Star (been there-done that) but I just don't understand some of the logistics regarding the base.

1. It sucks the energy of the sun, right? So which sun did it siphon to destroy the Republic's capitol planet?

2. As they siphon the star at the end of the film, wouldn't it destroy the planet's gravity, orbit and climate? Wouldn't everyone on the planet literally freeze to death?

3. And as the planet gets hurled out into space (because now there's no gravity and solar orbit), how could the base possibly fire its weapon because it rotational axis and orbit will be destroyed?

4. Does Starkiller Base move? Because where are they going to get another energy source?

I had no problem with the Death Star. It was stated very clearly that it's a space station. And we saw it move to Alderaan, and then to Yavin. But Starkiller Base, not only it being a complete retread, just seemed like a dumb plot device. They may as well have had the entire Starkiller Base transform into Mega-Maid.


Mega-Maid for the win! :lol:

Image


  Profile  
 
Top
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:06 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
User avatar
Special Operations Grand Master

Joined: October 31, 2008
Posts: 3304
Location: Bountiful, UT
I know this is the thread for uniting dissenters :wink: but if anyone cares to hear a different side...

If you can tolerate the language this offers up some pretty good points to what many view to be some of the film's failings.
(FAIR WARNING: FOUL LANGUAGE)
https://www.facebook.com/notes/matty-gr ... 095086277/

Also, there appears to have been a reason behind the "re-hash" of storyline from film to film.
http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/

I can't explain away the Starkiller Base, nor would I try but I went into the movie for what it was: a popcorn-munching good time.

Nate, you think too much. :wink: :mrgreen:
Does anyone just enjoy movies anymore?

Image
Image


  Profile  
 
Top
Offline 
 Post subject: Re: Am I The Only One?!?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:26 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
User avatar
Sandtrooper Apprentice

Joined: May 25, 2015
Posts: 1639
Location: Eagle Mountain
Age: 31
Splattum wrote:
I know this is the thread for uniting dissenters :wink: but if anyone cares to hear a different side...

If you can tolerate the language this offers up some pretty good points to what many view to be some of the film's failings.
(FAIR WARNING: FOUL LANGUAGE)
https://www.facebook.com/notes/matty-gr ... 095086277/


Very entertaining read, thanks for sharing!

Image


  Profile  
 
Top
Search for:
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Home Page Home Page  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 

Time zone: America/Denver


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  


The 501st Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans.
While it is not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred Imperial costuming group.
Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm.
© 2014 Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization.