Time zone: America/Denver

Home Page Home Page  [ 11 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Website Update - Cadet Status Housecleaning
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:38 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Bounty Hunter Master

Greetings Everybody,

I just launched a major upgrade to the membership system here on the website. As most of you know, we've had a system in place for a few years now that warns garrison members about inactivity when they near the one year mark since their last event in costume. We now have such a system for cadets. When it has been nearly a year since a cadet has last attended an event, the server will send them a warning via E-mail and PM at the 30 day and 7 day marks to let them know that they need to attend a garrison event in order to maintain their cadet status. After one year has passed, their cadet status is removed and they no longer have access to the Events Forum, Detention Center, and other member forums. Their Tour of Duty is maintained as is their cadet profile page, but they no longer show up on the membership lists. In order to regain cadet status, the person simply needs to fill out another cadet application and attend an upcoming event. Everything will then be restored as it was.

Those of you who were cadets and have not attended an event in over a year have had your cadet status removed and received a PM notifying you of the change. You may also reapply at anytime.

The reasons for doing this are as follows...

* Easier cadet tracking - The entire purpose of the cadet program is to help guide cadets towards the path of full garrison and 501st Legion membership. Before this change today, we had 109 cadets on record. We now have 54 active cadets. This list is much more manageable.

* Cleaned up attendance rolls - With 287 records in our membership system, marking the attendance roll at events was becoming a daunting task. Those of you familiar with the interface know that it has been broken down into regions to facilitate use of use. Retired and inactive members are filtered to a separate category further cleaning up the list. With this change for cadets, the attendance roll is much more tidy now.

If you have any concerns or questions over this change, please post a reply in this thread or send me a PM.

Thanks,

Mike Handy
"Handyman"

Post subject: Re: Website Update - Cadet Status Housecleaning
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:42 am 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet 1st Class

Just my opinion... so take it for what it is....

If a Cadet is inactive, shouldn't they atleast have access to the events forum? even if it is read only, so that if they want to reactivate they know what events are out there to attend?

Just my 2 cents.

-Ni dinu ner gaan naakyc, jorcu ni nu copaani kyr'amur ner vod...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 am 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet

As one who has been "demoted" it was a little frustrating to be hit with that with no warning, especially when I have been working so hard on my Vader. I can honestly say that I've been actively working on, and progressing towards, full fledged membership (look at my build thread). With that said, I understand the logic behind it, and would really like to hear what the leadership has in store to help those cadets along the way. In my experience so far, the Vaders I have met or visited with have been great, but there hasn't been any mentorship from leadership per say. May I suggest that when someone comes up to this cutoff period, that someone reach out to the cadet (in person) and discuss it with them before they are just cut? I know the emails are sent out, but a personal touch would go further I think. If you get no response, then you know what to do. For guys like me (and I know others have had similar experiences) I went through 6 and a half months of unemployment. That makes it tough to get to events and what not. I'm not sure how things work for the leadership team, but do you actively discuss the cadets and what you can do to help them progress? I know there are many that sign up and never do anything again, I would like to see a more personalized approach to the Cadets so that they know they are wanted and cared for.

Also, I've noticed that I don't see what's going on with events anymore either and wondered how I can get involved and see the schedule so I can plan to attend. I was wanting to attend the annual meeting, but can't see the thread anymore etc.

Just a little perspective from a lowly former cadet, now recruit.

"You underestimate my power!... D'oh!"
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:32 am 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet 1st Class

weemansith wrote:
Also, I've noticed that I don't see what's going on with events anymore either and wondered how I can get involved and see the schedule so I can plan to attend. I was wanting to attend the annual meeting, but can't see the thread anymore etc.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 am 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet 1st Class

weemansith wrote:
I was wanting to attend the annual meeting, but can't see the thread

It is this coming Saturday by the way, starts at 11 am

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:59 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
TIE Pilot Grand Master

For cadets who are progressing toward approval with their own costume, I would think it would be easy to attend at least one event a year to maintain their status. I understand that hardships come and go, but when the garrison averages between 3 and 8 events per month, attending one a year seems easy. Not to mention that by attending events, one can meet the other members who troop in the same costume they have chosen and thereby recieve tips, pointers, etc. relative to the project they have chosen. The mentoring comes naturally by attending events and talking to those members who have already completed their costumes and can share the build experience, whether good or bad, with those still working on their own. Several times I have has recruits and cadets ask me about where to buy armor, the best way to assemble, best paint locations, etc. The members who have already been approved through the legion are probably the best source of info for those seeking legion approval.

If either of you or any other former cadet has questions they would like to discuss, feel free to call me. (801) 225-2766 or (801) 602-8717.

Jimbo
TI 7343

"Shields? We don't need no stinkin' shields!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:32 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet 1st Class

JIMBOJAG wrote:
, I would think it would be easy to attend at least one event a year to maintain their status.

You're absolutely right Jim. It is very easy to do that, all I am trying to point out is that with the events forum being hidden from those cadets, it makes attending said events a bit more difficult, especially when events like the Annual meeting is concerned where "All Cadets and Official Members" are invited, yet they cannot see any of the event details since it's a private event. How are they supposed to attend the event if they can't see it or know about it?

Anyway, just an observation.

Sorry if I ruffled anyone feathers again, I'm just trying to point out something that may not have been taken into consideration when that decision was made.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:48 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Stormtrooper 1st Class

Darth Sifter wrote:
JIMBOJAG wrote:
, I would think it would be easy to attend at least one event a year to maintain their status.

You're absolutely right Jim. It is very easy to do that, all I am trying to point out is that with the events forum being hidden from those cadets, it makes attending said events a bit more difficult, especially when events like the Annual meeting is concerned where "All Cadets and Official Members" are invited, yet they cannot see any of the event details since it's a private event. How are they supposed to attend the event if they can't see it or know about it?

Anyway, just an observation.

Sorry if I ruffled anyone feathers again, I'm just trying to point out something that may not have been taken into consideration when that decision was made.

Kirk,
I understand what you are pointing out with private events. But like you said in your post "All Cadets and Official Members" are invited. So recruit are not invited to these private events and there for can't see them But if you are a "recruit" you can see all the public event in the Calender that is open to anyone who visits the site. With that open information about events if you are really working toward full membership it should be easy to attend at least one event a year to maintain your cadet status. So there is no need for recruits to have access to the event forum. They can get all the information they need to attend an event form the event calender that they have access to.
Like Jim said: ".... that by attending events, one can meet the other members who troop in the same costume they have chosen and thereby receive tips, pointers, etc. relative to the project they have chosen. The mentoring comes naturally by attending events and talking to those members who have already completed their costumes and can share the build experience, whether good or bad, with those still working on their own." The outreach is there for those who want it.

I guess that you are not try to "ruffle feather" like you said but I am trying to figure out why you are so concerned about this now when you haven't been active with the Garrison for sometime and you also had chance to address recruits and cadets in you term as CO.
Just wondering.........

Seth "TK-8044"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:18 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet 1st Class

My goodness, sorry for saying anything .... It was a simple observation. That's it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:41 pm 
Alpine Garrison Member
Bounty Hunter Master

Darth Sifter wrote:
If a Cadet is inactive, shouldn't they atleast have access to the events forum?

No. Recruits have never had access to the Events forum. Cadets who have not attended an event in a year will be returned to Recruit status.

Darth Sifter wrote:
even if it is read only, so that if they want to reactivate they know what events are out there to attend?

weemansith wrote:
Also, I've noticed that I don't see what's going on with events anymore either and wondered how I can get involved and see the schedule so I can plan to attend.

This is done in the exact same way it has been done for all Recruits for over three years now. This procedure was mentioned in the PMs sent out to all Cadets who were moved back to Recruit as well as in my first post. Let me outline it in more detail here...

How to regain Cadet status
1) Pick an event you would like to attend in the near future. You can do this by checking the events list by clicking the "Events" button above or by going here...
summit_events.php

By design, only public events are listed for members of the general public and Recruits. If a former Cadet wishes to attend the garrison Annual Meeting after being inactive for over a year, that's great and they are more than welcome to attend. We will handle that very unique situation on a case by case basis.

2) Fill out the Cadet application again. You can access the application by clicking the "Join" button above or by clicking here...
summit_join.php

When filling out the application you will need to specify which event will be your first event. Select the event from the drop down list. As the very definition of a "Cadet" is someone who is working towards 501st Legion membership, you will also need to specify which costume you are working on.

3) Attend the event. Once you have submitted the application, you can click the "Join" button again and the first post from the event thread in the Events Forum will be visible to you. All the relevant details on how to attend the event will be in this post.

4) Once your attendance is updated in the system, you will immediately have all Cadet permissions including Events Forum access restored to you and you will receive a PM notifying you of the change.

Darth Sifter wrote:
I'm just trying to point out something that may not have been taken into consideration when that decision was made.

I'm sorry to differ with you, Kirk, but it has been thoroughly thought through and the process is incredibly easy and fair.

weemansith wrote:
As one who has been "demoted" it was a little frustrating to be hit with that with no warning

The system is coded to warn Cadets on returning to Recruit status when they get within 30 days and 7 days of the deadline. However, for those who were already inactive for over a year, the cut off was instant. I'm sorry this affected you in this way, Nic, but we need to start somewhere.

weemansith wrote:
I have been working so hard on my Vader. I can honestly say that I've been actively working on, and progressing towards, full fledged membership (look at my build thread).

Happy to hear that you're still making progress. As our most popular character, we can never have too many Darth Vaders. As a recruit, you still have full access to the Costumes forum and your own build thread.

weemansith wrote:
In my experience so far, the Vaders I have met or visited with have been great, but there hasn't been any mentorship from leadership per say. May I suggest that when someone comes up to this cutoff period, that someone reach out to the cadet (in person) and discuss it with them before they are just cut? I know the emails are sent out, but a personal touch would go further I think.

I agree with you on this 100%, Nic. We have been trying to figure out how to effectively do this for a very long time. I know that Mark Fordham, our new CO, wants to address this. To be honest, this "Cadet Status Housecleaning" is part of that effort. It's not a manageable task for us to keep track of 109 Cadets. We now have 47 active Cadets which is much more reasonable.

weemansith wrote:
I would like to see a more personalized approach to the Cadets so that they know they are wanted and cared for.

Once again, you are absolutely right. We do need to have more mentoring and personal guidance, particularly outside of this website.

weemansith wrote:
I was wanting to attend the annual meeting, but can't see the thread anymore etc.

As I mentioned earlier, we'll have to deal with this on a case by case basis, and in your case, I'll send you a PM with all the details. If you're able to make it to the meeting, I'll manually adjust your new Cadet application to be the Annual Meeting and your Cadet status will be restored then.

To anyone else out there... If you have any questions at all about this process, please let me know.

Regards,

Mike Handy
"Handyman"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:48 pm 
Imperial Recruit
Cadet 1st Class

Thanks for the explanation Mike. :)

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 11 posts ] 

Time zone: America/Denver